Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Birthday Notes

Although I'm not writing as much as I'd like, I am reading a lot of blogs. Yesterday, my rambling readings brought up a mention of Graham Greene which I skimmed hastily. "How nice," I thought, "but not necessary to mark." Today is one of regret because October 2 is his birthday. I've been going through blogs and listservs trying to find what seemed to be a great link about Graham Greene.

While I didn't find that, I found this post. It only mentions Greene as part of a greater issue I'm much more interested in. Why aren't today's Christians writing great literature?

At our library we allocate a very small amount of money to current Christian fiction because it is viewed as ephemeral. Do you know of any current Christian best selling authors who will still be studied seriously in 100 years?

1 comment:

Lori Thornton said...

No. Christian fiction tends to be so "preachy" that most of it will never go beyond a Christian audience. There are a few Christians who are writing in the mainstream who may still occasionally be read in a hundred years; however, "serious study" of their body of work is another matter. There are probably some individual authors who are Christians whose writings will be studied, but I can't identify them right now.