Tuesday, July 26, 2005

When in Doubt...Read the Instructions

This past two weeks, I decided it was finally time to finish a few projects around my house. So for starters, I have assembled a bookcase and replaced a toilet seat. What I have discovered is that the instructions for these tasks--weren't instructions but pictures. I was offended because I am literate and proud of it. For me pictures without words raise too many questions, especially when the parts shown look too similar and the order of steps is unclear.

Meanwhile, back at the library, I've also begun dealing with our brochures and tutorials--and judging from the number of e-mails on discussion lists so have other libraries. If anything, our education materials err on the side of too many words and not enough pictures. What to do, what to do!
Help is on the way. This link from Marketing Treasures should inspire you to make more dynamic brochures
Marketing Treasures July 2005

In addition, I have a link from U-Write.com which provides some excellent guidelines for any type of brochure, although it is actually written for patient education. The page contains links to topics such as readibility, illustrations, design, and color.

Oh yes, I finally assembled both the bookcase and toilet seat and only put one item on backwards, fortunately it was on the bookcase!



No comments: