Monday, September 05, 2005

Recovering Simplicity

Seeing the debris left from Katrina and the call for aid has helped reinforce the need to simplify our lives so that we can respond both locally, nationally, and internationally. (We librarians are notorious packrats. But we tell ourselves, we're organized packrats!) This blog reflects on the spiritual nature of simplicity. I was most struck by her comment on creating spaciousness in our schedules

I have a friend who schedules blocks of time on his calendar for "Whatever Comes
Up." Even at the office, he leaves several hours a week open. I need to do that
too. If I don't, then my "WCU" time will be taken out of my play time, my
creative time, my exercise time, or my devotional time -- all essential parts of
living simply

Given the hectic schedule at the start of each year, this is well worth heeding.

A couple of books mentioned which tie spirituality to simplifying are

The Soul's Religion

and on a more humorous level

It's Hard to Make a Difference When You Can't Find Your Keys

Personally, I found Richard Foster's book, Freedom of Simplicity challenging and given the times, I need to re-read it.

Any other books or sites?

No comments: